Qualified teachers who trained outside of England can get QTS by having their qualifications assessed by the Teaching Regulation Agency. This includes teachers who trained in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the European Union (EU), Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America (USA).

There are four different application forms. You must complete the appropriate form. The forms are:

  • Scotland - For teachers trained in Scotland or with Full Registration with the General Teaching Council for Scotland.
  • Northern Ireland - For teachers trained in Northern Ireland or registered with the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland.
  • Overseas Trained Teachers - For teachers trained in Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the United States of America (USA).
  • EEA (EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway) or Switzerland - For teachers trained in one of these states.

If you are not a qualified teacher in any of these countries and wish to gain QTS you can find out more on the Department for Education's Get into teaching site.

Any Problems

Please be aware that any inactivity for a period of 20 minutes when completing your application will result in a timeout and a requirement to re-start your application.

If you experience any difficulties during the application process you can email our help team at QTS.enquiries@education.gov.uk

Get started

Please select the application form you wish to complete from the drop-down box below.